African golden cat (Caracal aurata)
Mohamed bin Zayed Species project number 210526861
To identify conservation initiatives for the African golden cat supported by the local communities.
Minziro is currently facing a number of threats which include poaching activities, cattle incursion, charcoal burning and timber and poles harvesting. Thus, the overarching aim of the project is to mitigate these threats based on the following specific objectives: (i) To raise awareness in the local communities and other stakeholders of the existence of African golden cat in Minziro, ii) To identify community based conservation initiatives to reduce the threats on the African golden cat in Minziro, and iii) To share experiences with Ugandan counterparts where efforts to conserve the species are ongoing in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.
- A cross section of Nsunga Secondary School form III students reading a leaflet with information related to the African Golden Cat during awareness raising program in selected schools living next to Mi
- Some of the form III students at Nsunga Secondary School reading a leaf let with the information related to the African Golden cat during awareness raising program in Missenyi District, Tanzania
- A section of teachers, one of the stakeholders in raising awareness to the students about the African Golden Cat in Mutukula, Missenyi
- A group photo that involved officials from both Tanzania and Uganda together with Dr. Martin (in green T-shirt) after the inception workshop meeting held in Kyotera, Ugandan side of the Border. The Wo
- Security officials from Uganda and Chief Conservator for Minziro (Mr. Mwigulu) and Dr. Martin saying goodbye to each other after the workshop
- Dr. Martin speaking with standard V pupils in Minziro Primary School, one of the 8 primary schools in Missenyi District as part of the awareness raising programs on the existence of the African Golden
- Dr. Emanuel Martin (Blue t-shirt) next to the banner, in a group photo with standard V pupils holding leaflets together with Project officials, Minziro Forest officials and teachers in Kiwelu Primary
- Dr. Martin, posing some questions to the std V students at Kalagala Primary Schools to gauge their understanding about the African Golden Cat and the threats facing it. A total of 74 pupils attended t
- This is a soft copy of the banner that is being used during awareness raising program. The banner is in Kiswahili and has all the Project objectives, Golden cat photo and contacts
Project 210526861 location - Tanzania, Africa