Barbour's vlei rat (Otomys barbouri)
Mohamed bin Zayed Species project number 162514688
Impacts of ecotourism on population and distribution of Otomys barbouri in the afro-alpine zone of Mt Elgon, Kenya
- General Objective: To determine the influence of tourist activities on the population and distribution of Otomys barbouri in the Afro-alpine grasslands of Mt Elgon.
- Specific Objectives:
- 1.To compare the population densities of Otomys barbouri in selected regions of the afro-alpine zone with and without tourist traffic.
- 2.To evaluate the condition of the habitat and hence its suitability to the conservation of Otomys barbouri.
- 3. To create awareness among the local people and other relevant stakeholders on the importance of conserving the species.
- 4. To develop a baseline for monitoring the impact of tourism activities on population and distribution of O. barbouri in Mt. Elgon.
Project 162514688 location - Kenya, Africa