Chinese mountain cat (Felis bieti)
Mohamed bin Zayed Species project number 210527262
Reduce the threat of road killing to the Chinese mountain cat (Felis bieti)
The project is aim at reducing road killing of the Chinese mountain cat. The overall objectives are as follows: 1) We will first monitor the habitat use of Chinese mountain cats in the study area. We will identify the characteristics of road segments that are frequently used by the cats to cross . 2) We will collect kill sites of Chinese mountain cats, and determine the key factors contributing to the road killing events. 3) On the basis of above, we will predict the most commonly used path when they move between different types of habitats, and map out the hotspots of road-crossing probability as the priority areas for conservation management. 4) We will collaborate with local agencies to set up publicity signs and speed bumps in the area where Chinese mountain cats are most commonly used to cross the highway, to reduce the speed of vehicles entering key habitats. Meanwhile, we will design, produce and spread brochures of Chinese mountain cat to local residents and drivers at highway service areas, to raise their awareness of this unique cat species and the importance of protection against road killing threats.
- Final report
- The publicity signs placed on road to remain drivers reducing the speed of vehicles when entering key habitats of Chinese mountain cats.
- Home range of ten Chinese mountain cats attached with satellite collars in Menyuan.
- I'm talking to the news media about Chinese mountain cat conservation work
- We are doing an interview to local residents about the conservation of Chinese mountain cat.
- We are discussing questionnaire design with local guides.
- This is a brochure focusing on conservation knowledge of Chinese mountain cat. This brochure is in Chinese and include conservation knowledge about the species.
- The banner that is being used during our in-home interview. The banner is in Chinese. It includes brief introduction of Chinese mountain cat, the threats they are facing and conservation actions.
- Mid-term report: Reduce the threat of road killing to the Chinese mountain cat (Felis bieti)
- A Chinese mountain cat killed by vehicle on the road.
Project 210527262 location - China, Asia