'ōmāma'o (Pomarea nigra)
Mohamed bin Zayed Species project number 202523851
Save the Tahiti monarch from the Little Fire Ant
In order to finalize the eradication of LFA in four colonies we had:
- Treated the LFA mega colonies established in the PK 17 and the PK 18.2 forests (PK is a geographical reference indicating the location of the colony on the road surrounding Tahiti Island). We have reached this objective by performing 4 application of S Methoprene and hydramethylnon using drone at one-two-month intervals (33 + 8 ha)
- Confirmed the absence of LFA in the Te Maru Ata cliff
No ant was found more than three years after the last drone application (performed in january 2018) - which is an excellent new and confirm the efficiency of drone application in order to treat forested areas against LFA
- Finalized the eradication of LFA in the three urban areas using ultra diluted fipronil (10.000 time the recommended dose by the manufacturer)- in the 4 houses still contaminated early 2021
- maintain the inhabitants motivated to prevent reinvasions (panels, magnets, door to door)
We have prepared panels and magnets with the different partners.
- we also discovered and treated an new and threatening colony of 8-11 ha located very close to the 'heart' of the monarch population. Hopefully, this colony has been treated (on 11 ha) also and is no more a threat for the Tahiti monarch.
Eradication can be confirmed only three years after the cessation of treatments - this has been the case in Te Maru Ata cliff in 2021. in 2021 we treated 33 + 4 + 11 ha and we wil justl have to continue our LFA surveys later (three more years) to be sure those colonies are eradicated.
- Planning of drone application performed in 2021
- Pannel for prevent reinfestation
- a picture of myself, changed in ant in order to fight ants !
- Report after the second drone application in the G4 section of the PK 17 colony
- Evolution of the Te Maru Ata colony after the use of ultradiluted fipronil application in 60 houses and 4 drone application in 17 ha of cliff & forest
Project 202523851 location - French Polynesia, Oceania