'ōmāma'o (Pomarea nigra)
Mohamed bin Zayed Species project number 202523851
Save the Tahiti monarch from the Little Fire Ant
In order to finalize the eradication of LFA in three colonies we will have to:
- Eradicate the LFA mega colonies established in the PK 17 and the PK 18.2 forests (PK is a geographical reference indicating the location of the colony on the road surrounding Tahiti Island). We will reach this objective by performing 4 application of S Methoprene and hydramethylnon using drone at one-two-month intervals (33 + 8 ha)
For the moment we performed 2 applications in 12-10 ha of forest, in G4 areas - far away from the habitation and we need to adapt a parachute in order to be able to treat the forest near the house. 2 more applications will be performed early in 2021 and the treatments near the habitation will be initiated for the next dry season
- Verify the absence of LFA in the Te Maru Ata cliff
No ant was found more than two years after the last drone application (performed in january 2018) - which is an excellent new and confirm the efficiency of drone application in order to treat forested areas against LFA
- Finalize the eradication of LFA in the three urban areas using ultra diluted fipronil (10.000 time the recommended dose by the manufacturer)- in the 15 houses still contaminated early 2020 and in a buffer areas until we are able to treat the contaminated forest. 21 new houses were discovered contaminated and treated in 2019 - only 4 of them were still contaminated after 5 treatments, in june 2020.
Since June 2020, the house (all the 21) and the forest boundaries were treated six more time
- maintain the inhabitants motivated to prevent reinvasions (panels, magnets, door to door)
We are preparing panels and magnets with the different partners.
Eradication can be confirmed only three years after the cessation of treatments - this could be the case in Te Maru Ata cliff in 2021 but important steeps could be reached in 2020-2021 if we succeed to complete drone applications in the two remaining forests and we wil justl have to continue our LFA surveys later.
- a picture of myself, changed in ant in order to fight ants !
- Evolution of the Te Maru Ata colony after the use of ultradiluted fipronil application in 60 houses and 4 drone application in 17 ha of cliff & forest
Project 202523851 location - French Polynesia, Oceania